Friday, August 17, 2012

DRAMA

I knew this was coming. There is a beauty of working at a restaurant. I would compare it to high school. Where drama runs rampant and news spreads faster than your table can order their drinks. It has no limits. It's not clear as to why it's so toxic in this setting, but for some reason you throw 20-somethings in a serving environment, and the scandal flows like wine.

I luck out fortunately. I've had the same boyfriend long before I started working here, so there are no work scandals for me. I would even like to say I'm above all it, but c'mon, who doesn't like a good rumor or two every once in a while? Boring day at work? Let's just start talking about what we know around this place. For instance, we've had a girl get knocked up TWICE by a guy (now former employee) WHILE he is seeing other girls (that don't work at the restaurant). For real? How do you make the same mistake twice? I'm not saying I'm just saying...

We've had people fired for not serving Asians ("They won't tip me anyway..." Lord have mercy), female bartenders sleeping with female managers (who didn't see trouble coming from that?), theft, gang fights (mentioned previously), stolen cars, arrests, and more make-up, break-up, and cheating scandals than I can count. Here's where we'll start our lesson:

Lesson #1: Do not date your co-workers.
Okay, yes in SOME instances it is OKAY to date your fellow worker. But think about what you are getting yourself in to. You are at the breeding ground for disaster, where the second these servers, cashiers, bartenders, and cooks are off work, they can be found at the nearest watering hole blowing all their hard earned money. On top of all that they then head to someone's house to get high and sleep around. None of this sounds like a fairy tale waiting to happen. You're asking for disaster.

Which brings us to last night's drama. So one our cashier/food prep Anita (*name changed) apparently started dating one of our cooks Bob (*again... name changed). By dating I mean hooking up. Now usually people don't find anything wrong with this, but I'm guessing there is at least a 6-8 year age gap, with her being closer to her early 20's. So of course she's going to get extremely overly attached, even if  they are just hooking up.

At any rate, one of our server's was taking care of a table and the table asked if she could tell cook Bob that they say hi. Of course the server was curious on who these people were, and they said they were Bob's girlfriend's family. I unfortunately didn't get to see them, but it was CLEARLY not Anita's family. So the server went to clarify with Anita (bad idea right?) if she was, in fact, dating Bob, because these other people were here. Anita's eyes became wide and she instantly burst into tears and ran into the cooler. Alright, there is clearly some scandal going on.

Well of course the server runs around and tells EVERYONE what just happened, and some of the other servers mention that they knew Bob had a girlfriend, had no idea he was even SEEING Anita, and to top it off, he has a BABY with said girlfriend. Too much? Yah? I agree. Let's take a breather. [count to ten]

Annndd we're back. That's the drama that unfolded last night. I saw them talking as I left, I'm sure it won't end well. We'll have to see what happens on that one. This is more of a To Be Continued sort of story... I'll keep you posted!

Oh drama... how you make a dull night lively.

Thanks for stopping by!
Always, your server

No comments:

Post a Comment